• Watercolour 24½ x 35½ inches (62 x 90 cms)
A female Snowy Owl on a rocky hillside on Unst, Shetland, 19 June 1990. It was often mobbed by Oystercatchers and Lapwings. I painted this picture large as the bird was in such a grand setting and I wanted to capture the wildness of the landscape. What an experience!
- Watercolour 16 x 24 inches (40.5 x 60.5 cms)
Woodcocks regularly winter in our garden. This one was almost out in the open where there had been a light fall of snow.
- Watercolour 11 x 17 inches (28.5 x 43.5 cms)
Four drake Pintails at Leighton Moss RSPB reserve, spring 2015. Sometimes all four would up-end, just four pointed tails sticking up out of the water. That would have made a strange painting!
- Watercolour 15 x 20 inches (38 x 52 cms)
- £ 600
I found the unusual plumage patterns interesting on these two preening Avocets on Cley marsh
Two Grey Partridges
- Watercolour 16 x 12 inches (41 x 32cms)
A study of a pair of partridges at the edge of a field, based on a very old pen and ink drawing of mine that I came across recently.
- Watercolour and gouache on Fabriano 5 HP paper. 18 x 13½ inches (46 x 34 cms)
- Signed lower right
This is an original illustration plate from Volume 6 of THE BIRDS OF AFRICA. Several of the other plates are still available. Please enquire through the contact form.
Hen Ptarmigan on nest
- Watercolour 11 x 16 inches (29 X41 cms)
We watched this Ptarmigan walk down onto her nest on Cairngorm, and she stayed on it even when we approached closely.
Rooks and Jackdaws in a gale
- Watercolour 9½ x 14¾ inches (24.5 x 37.5 cms)
This painting resulted from watching birds being blown around in the sky in a violent squall, with the rain making shining lines in the furrows. It also inspired a poem which is in “Drawing Together” my little book of poems.
The Watch House
- Watercolour 20 x 14 inches (35 x 50 cms)
Half way to Blakeney point from Cley Beach, it is a favourite subject – tiny and distant under big skies.
- Watercolour 18 x35 inches (46 x 35 cms)
I love the pretty display of Redshanks as he dances round her, with wings fluttering.
- Oil on board 23 x 20 inches (59 x 50 cms)
Having been interested in these medieval wild cattle for years, I painted this portrait in oils following a recent inspiring visit.